Several industries, including cigarette manufacturing, construction materials, shipyards, and oil refineries contributed to asbestos exposure in Jersey City. After developing toxic asbestos illnesses, many workers and their families are now fighting back with the help of a Jersey City mesothelioma lawyer.
If you or someone you love has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, asbestos-related lung cancer, or asbestosis, you may qualify for significant compensation. We invite you to fill out our form today for a free Financial Compensation Packet, filled with information about experienced mesothelioma lawyers in Jersey City, how to get paid in 90 days, how to file an asbestos trust fund claim, and much more.
Free Financial Compensation Packet
- Info on law firms that will recover your highest compensation
- Learn how to get paid in 90 days
- File for your share of $30 billion in trust funds
Asbestos in Jersey City
- Jersey City is a major manufacturing and transportation hub. Rail companies such as the former Alloway and Quinton Railroad, the Atlantic City Railroad, and the Baltimore & Ohio (B&O) Railroad used asbestos in machinery and employed thousands.
- Other large Jersey City companies with a history of asbestos use include Colgate-Palmolive, Dixon Ticonderoga, and Chloro.
- The city grew rapidly with an influx of immigrants and the resulting construction boom coincided with asbestos use in the industry.
- By the middle of the 20th Century, asbestos was found almost everywhere in Jersey City.
The Lorillard Tobacco Company was once owned by the New Jersey-based Continental Tobacco Company. Lorillard built and operated a cigarette factory in Jersey City.
The factory was in operation until 1956, when Lorillard closed it down and moved production to North Carolina.
By then, Lorillard’s products had already exposed thousands of workers and consumers to asbestos. With lung cancer increasingly connected to smoking, the company created a filtered product in the 1950s.
Lorillard made Kent’s Micronite filters with a combination of materials that included crocidolite asbestos. At the time, many manufacturers were aware of the dangers posed by asbestos to people’s health, but Lorillard used crocidolite for its efficient filtering properties.
The filters had no positive effects on smokers’ health. The filters actually contributed to the high number of malignant mesothelioma cases that emerged years later.
The Jersey City factory produced Kent cigarettes for around four years. By 1956, thousands of Lorillard employees in the New Jersey facility and millions of smokers across the country were exposed to asbestos through the Micronite filters.
Elizabeth Jacobs lost her husband and brother, both workers who handled Micronite filters manufacturing Kents.
Jacobs herself died of mesothelioma in 1985 at the age of 54, even though she had never set foot in the Jersey City plant. She was exposed to asbestos by washing her husband’s work clothes.
Celotex was a company that manufactured a gypsum wallboard in nearby Edgewater, New Jersey.
In the late 1960s, Celotex received shipments of the mineral vermiculite from the W.R. Grace mine in Libby, Montana.
The vermiculite from this site was contaminated with asbestos. The workers in Edgewater did not process the vermiculite, which would have caused more exposure, but they did handle the material.
Those workers are still at risk today of developing asbestos-related illnesses.
Additional Job Sites Associated with Asbestos in Jersey City
- Christ Hospital (CarePoint Health)
- Jersey City Hospital
- American Sugar Refining Company
- F.O. Matthiessen and Weichers Sugar Refining Company
- Merchants Refining Company
- Natural Products Refining Company
- Barnes Manufacturing Company
- Brewster Cocoa Manufacturing Company
- Eureka Manufacturing
- Kellogg Manufacturing
- Curtis Electric Manufacturing Company
- Chemical Manufacturing Company
Additional Job Sites, Buildings, and Companies
- Central Railroad of N.J. (Engine Terminal)
- Commercial Trust Building (Trust Company of New Jersey)
- New Jersey Transit (formerly known as the Consolidated Traction Company)
- Continental Candy Corporation
- Crucible Steel
- Hudson and Manhattan Railroad Powerhouse
- Jersey City Paper Company
- Jersey City Sewerage Authority
- Midland Ross International
- Public Service Gas & Electric Company (PSEG)
- Standard Oil
- West End Gas Works
- Whitlock Cordage
- Greek American Confectionery Company
- Snare and Triest Company
- Standard Oil
- St. John’s Housing
- Schiavona Bonoma Corporation
- William L Dickinson High School
- Brewster Cocoa Manufacturing Company
- Hudson & Manhattan Railway Company
- Joseph Dixon Crucible Company
Medical Assistance Near Jersey City
If you suffer from mesothelioma or any other asbestos-related disease, the prestigious Rutgers Cancer Institute in New Jersey offers specialty medical care. Other important cancer centers are available in nearby cities and states.
NYU Langone Medical Center
550 First Avenue
New York, NY 10016
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
1275 York Avenue
New York, NY 10065
Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey
195 Little Albany Street
New Brunswick, NJ 08903-2681
Smilow Cancer Hospital at Yale-New Haven
20 York Street
New Haven, CT 06510
University of Pennsylvania Cancer Center
Abramson Cancer Center
38th and Walnut Streets
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Getting Legal Help in Jersey City
Don’t forget to fill out our form to get our free Financial Compensation Packet, filled with information on the experienced asbestos and mesothelioma attorneys in your area. For questions and assistance, feel free to contact us at 800-793-4540.
Page Reviewed and Edited by Mesothelioma Attorney Paul Danziger
Paul Danziger grew up in Houston, Texas and earned a law degree from Northwestern University School of Law in Chicago. For over 25 years years he has focused on representing mesothelioma cancer victims and others hurt by asbestos exposure. Paul and his law firm have represented thousands of people diagnosed with mesothelioma, asbestosis, and lung cancer, recovering significant compensation for injured clients. Every client is extremely important to Paul and he will take every call from clients who want to speak with him. Paul and his law firm handle mesothelioma cases throughout the United States.