Los Angeles has an extensive history of asbestos use in construction and industrial businesses. Consequently, numerous California workers have been diagnosed with mesothelioma and other asbestos-related diseases, and are fighting for justice with the help of a Los Angeles mesothelioma lawyer.
If you or a loved one have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, asbestos-related lung cancer, or asbestosis, you may be eligible for substantial compensation. Fill out our form to receive our free Financial Compensation Packet. Our packet is loaded with information on leading Los Angeles mesothelioma attorneys, how to file a claim for asbestos trust funds, how to get paid in 90 days, and more.
Free Financial Compensation Packet
- Info on law firms that will recover your highest compensation
- Learn how to get paid in 90 days
- File for your share of $30 billion in trust funds
Los Angeles Asbestos Facts
- Los Angeles County has the highest number of asbestos-related deaths in the state of California.
- Between 1999 and 2013 there were over 21,000 deaths in the state related to asbestos exposure, and nearly 4,000 of those were in the Los Angeles area.
- Construction, shipping, and industrial workplaces in this large city have largely contributed to asbestos exposure and illnesses.
- Several sites in and around Los Angeles received shipments of vermiculite from Libby, Montana, a mineral heavily contaminated with asbestos.
Shipping and Asbestos in Los Angeles
One of the largest companies that used asbestos in Los Angeles was Todd Shipyards. Created in 1916 the company was instrumental in providing ships during wartime, especially during World War II.
In 1945, the Los Angeles Shipbuilding and Dry Dock became a part of the business, which included military and private ships. At this time nearly all components on ships contained asbestos.
Todd Shipyards continued its success until the mid-1980s when competition from other shipbuilding enterprises forced the shipyard to close down the Los Angeles site in 1989.
In 2010, the company was bought by Vigor International.
Vigor International has strict laws in place concerning the use of asbestos on the worksites, yet this law came about decades after thousands of workers at the former Todd Shipyards had been exposed on a daily basis.
By 2010, Todd Shipyard was facing 490 asbestos claims, 10 malignant mesothelioma claims, and an additional 184 less-serious claims from its former employees.
Many of these cases have already been settled, and the company placed $3 million in a trust fund bank for future lawsuits.
Libby Vermiculite in Los Angeles
The W.R. Grace mine in Libby, Montana produced asbestos-tainted vermiculite for decades, shipping it to industrial locations throughout the country.
Several workplaces in and around Los Angeles received this vermiculite:
- Al-Lube Division of Far Best Corporation, Glendale
- California Zonolite Company/W.R. Grace, Glendale
- Domtar/Kaiser Gypsum America Inc., Long Beach
- Germain’s Seed Company, Los Angeles
- Southwest Grease Company, Compton
Other Places Associated with Asbestos Use in Los Angeles
Schools, plants, mills, hospitals, restaurants, and hospitals are among the many types of businesses that used asbestos prior to its ban in the late 1970s:
- Aviation High School
- Banneker High School
- Bell High School
- Belmont High School
- Belvedere Middle School
- Carson High School
- El Camino Real Estate School
- Fairfax Senior High School
- Fern Avenue School (demolished)
- Gardena High School
- Garfield High School
- Hammel Street Elementary School
- Hoover Street Elementary School
- Jefferson High School
- John Muir Middle School
- Los Angeles High School
- Los Angeles Manual Arts High School
- Los Angeles Technical Trade School
- Los Angeles Unified School District
- Los Feliz Elementary School
- Marvin Avenue Elementary School
- Pacoima Middle School
- Ramona Elementary School
- Roosevelt High School
- Sherman Oaks High School
- State School for Boys
- Topeka Drive School
- Washington High School
- Aynes Steam Plant
- Balboa Water Treatment Plant
- Central Plants Incorporated
- Dickson Gun Plant
- El Segundo Steam Plant
- Haynes Steam Generating Plant
- Los Angeles County Central Plant
- Los Angeles Water Plant
- Mccullough Plant
- Oxnard Mandalay Plant
- San Onofre Generating Plant
- Texallano Plant
- Trigen Central Plants
- Union Pacific Plant
- Alexander Hotel Company
- Alexandria Hotel
- Beverly Hills Hotel
- Biltmore Hotel
- Blackstone Apartment Hotel
- Century Plaza Hotel
- Hunts Hotel
- Mayflower Hotel
- Statler Hilton Hotel
- Angelus Hospital (demolished)
- Cedars of Lebanon Hospital
- Children’s Hospital (Vermont Ave)
- Good Samaritan Hospital
- Hollywood Presbyterian Hospital
- Los Angeles County General Hospital
- Los Angeles Infirmary Sisters’ Hospital
- Martin Luther King Jr General Hospital
- Midway Hospital
- Queen of Angels Hospital
- Saint Francis Hospital
- Shriners Children’s Hospital
- St. John’s Hospital
- St. Vincent’s Hospital
- Temple Hospital
- UCLA Medical Center
- The University of Southern California Hospital
- Veterans Administration Hospital
- White Memorial Hospital
- Amer Chemical
- American Potash & Chemical Corporation
- Ashland Chemical Company
- Borden Chemical Company
- Bray Chemical Company
- Collier Carbon & Chemical Corporation
- Dixon Chemical
- Dow Chemical Company
- Filtrol Chemical
- Food Machinery & Chemical Corporation
- Kaiser Aluminum and Chemical
- Kerr Mcgee Chemical Corporation
- Old Colony Paint & Chemical Company
- Pacific R & H Chemical Company
- Rohm & Haas Chemical
- Shell Chemical Company
- Southern California Chemical Company
- Stauffer Chemical
- Witfield Chemical Corp
- Cannon Electric
- Edison Electric Company
- General Electric Company
- Hoagland Lakin Electric and Engineering Company
- Los Angeles Electric Company
- Pacific Electric Railway Company
- Pasadena Los Angeles Electric Railway Company
- San Gabriel Electric Company
- Santa Maria Electric and Gas Company
- Sawyer Electric
- U.S. Electrical Motors Inc
- A. P. Mc Guinness
- Aaron Ferer & Son
- Affiliated Metals
- Air Reduction Pacific Company
- Airesearch Corporation
- Alameda Tank Company
- Aluminum Company of America (Alcoa
- Aluminum Extrusion Company
- Amalgamated Oil Company
- American Airlines -Los Angeles International Airport
- American Appliance Company
- American Brazing Company
- American Bridge Division
- American Container
- American Hair & Felt Company
- American Manganese Steel Division
- American Pacific Steamship Company
- Anchor Hocking Glass Corporation
- Angelus Floor Covering
- Angelus Steel Treating
- Apex Steel Corporation
- ARCO Twin Towers
- BF Goodrich Company
- Balboa Water Treatment Plant
- Beeson Engineering Company
- Bradbury Building
- California Fireproof Door Company
- California Sanitary Canning Company
- Chevrolet Division of General Motors Company
- Devoe & Reynolds Company, Inc.
- Dominguez Water Corporation
- E. P. Clark Building.
- E.B. Wiggins Oil Tool
- Firestone Tire & Rubber Company
- Food Machinery & Chemical Corporation
- Golden State Creamery
- Kaiser Medical Center
- United Technology Corporation
- Valley Place Methodist Church
- Wesco Steel Rolling Mills Corp
Mesothelioma Treatment in Los Angeles
Victims of asbestos exposure in Los Angeles have access to one of the world’s premier treatment centers for mesothelioma.
The Pacific Mesothelioma Center, part of the Pacific Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, launched in 2012. It focuses on the research and treatment of pleural mesothelioma.
Also in Los Angeles is the UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center. It is recognized as a center of excellence and a Comprehensive Cancer Center by the National Cancer Institute.
The Cancer Center specializes in lung and other thoracic cancers, including mesothelioma, and partners with the Pacific Mesothelioma Center.
Los Angeles Legal Assistance
As previously mentioned, you may be entitled to financial compensation if you’ve been diagnosed with mesothelioma, asbestos-related lung cancer, or asbestosis. Get our free Financial Compensation Packet for info on the top mesothelioma and asbestos lawyers in your area. If you need additional assistance, contact us toll-free at 800-793-4540.
Page Reviewed and Edited by California Mesothelioma Lawyer Jeffrey B. Simon
Jeffrey B. Simon is a founding partner of Simon Greenstone Panatier, PC and has been recognized multiple times for excellence in trial law. He is licensed to practice in California, Texas, and New York. He specializes in mesothelioma and asbestos, toxic torts, and pharmaceutical injury. Simon has been given lifetime achievement awards from America’s Top 100 Attorneys and also the Worldwide Registry of Executives and Professionals
- Mitchell, Bradford C. Every Kind of Shipwork: A History of Todd Shipyards Corporation, 1916-1981.. Todd Shipyard Corporation: New York. 1981.