Atlanta, the capital of Georgia, is the most populous city in the state and one of the fastest growing cities in the nation. The growth started back in the 1920s, and with it came a boom in construction, industrial, mining, manufacturing and other industries that used asbestos.
If you or someone you love suffers from mesothelioma, asbestos-related lung cancer, or asbestosis, you may qualify for substantial compensation. Fill out our form to receive our free Financial Compensation Packet. Our packet is loaded with information on leading mesothelioma attorneys in Georgia, how to file a claim for asbestos trust funds, how to get paid in 90 days, and more.
Free Financial Compensation Packet
- Info on law firms that will recover your highest compensation
- Learn how to get paid in 90 days
- File for your share of $30 billion in trust funds
Atlanta and Asbestos Facts
- Between 1999 and 2013, 3,187 people died from asbestos-related diseases in Georgia.
- Fulton County and the Atlanta area had highest number of asbestos deaths.
- Georgia-Pacific was one of the city’s major employers using asbestos.
- Residents and workers in Atlanta are still at risk of being exposed to existing asbestos in many buildings.
Georgia Pacific, a leading manufacturing company based in Atlanta, faced an asbestos lawsuit in 2005. Although the company does not use asbestos in their products anymore, there have been more than 600,000 asbestos lawsuits against Georgia-Pacific after employees began developing life-threatening diseases such as malignant mesothelioma and asbestosis.
In 2005, Georgia-Pacific secretly hired researchers to perform studies that show their products were not responsible for asbestos. When questioned about the private research, the company reportedly declined to answer. A New York appeals court ruled that the company acted fraudulently and demanded that the research paperwork be handed over for review.
Sheila Jasanoff, a government professor at Harvard University, said that it’s suspect when a company refuses to hand over scientific results:
“There’s something extremely smelly about claiming attorney-client privilege for something that is being claimed at the same time as good science. Legal confidentiality protections should not be placed around good science.”
In 1965, Georgia-Pacific purchased the Bestwall Gypsum Company, a business that created, manufactured, and distributed the gypsum wallboard, as well as joint and spackling compounds products. Georgia-Pacific was aware that asbestos was used in most products and inside the manufacturing facilities. The information was kept private and withheld from employees. Many of the later lawsuits came from former Bestwall employees.
Consumers were also at high-risk for asbestos exposure, as Georgia Pacific failed to warn them about asbestos risks. The joint compound, known as Ready-Mix, contained asbestos.
The information was exposed during a court trial, after documents from Georgia Pacific surfaced, in which the company documented internal operations and methods when making the new version of the mix. The plaintiff in the case, Lisa Pransky, was only 8 years old when she was exposed to asbestos. Her father renovated the basement in her childhood home while using Ready-Mix on the ceiling. Decades later, Pranksy died of mesothelioma at age 34.
Other Job Sites Associated with Asbestos in Atlanta
Many buildings and workplaces in Atlanta used asbestos and some still contain the harmful mineral.
- Walden Austin T. Middle School
- Thomasville Elementary School
- Georgia State University
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- Morris Brown College
- Clark Atlanta University
- Emory University
- Spelman College
- Agnes Scott College
- Life University
- Parklane Elementary School
Gas and Electric Companies
- Atlanta Gas Light
- Georgia Railway and Power Company Gas Works
- Georgia Power
- Westinghouse Electric Company
- Western Electric
- Crawford W. Long Memorial Hospital
- Emory Healthcare
- Grady Memorial Hospital
- Metropolitan Hospital
- Piedmont Hospital
- St. Josephs Hospital
- Atlanta VA Medical Hospital
- West Paces Ferry Hospital
- Georgia State Mental Health Center
Additional Job Sites, Businesses, and Buildings
- A&P Warehouse Building
- Armstrong Contracting & Supply Corporation (AC&S)
- Atlanta American Motor Inn
- Coca Cola
- Atlanta Journal Constitution Building
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
- The Biltmore
- City of Atlanta Hemphill Station
- Equitable Life Assurance Society Building
- Guthman Laundry
- Jade East Apartments
- La Ista Villa Apartments
- Lakeview Baptist Church
- Lenox Towers
- Mcburney Corporation
- National Bank of Georgia
- Peachtree Baker Building
- Perimeter Mall
- Hyatt Regency Atlanta
- Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
- Shook & Fletcher Insulation Company
- Southern Wood Preserving Company
- Westinghouse Electric
- Equitable Life Assurance Society Building
- Great Southern Land and Paper Company
- Sara O’Kelley Municipal Auditorium (Coweta)
Getting Medical Help in Atlanta
Atlanta’s Winship Cancer Institute (WCI) is the only medical center in the state that is backed by the National Cancer Institute (NCI). Cancer care centers that are backed by NCI have many advantages, including advanced, cutting-edge treatment options, in-depth cancer research, public outreach, and training opportunities for scientists, cancer experts, and physicians.
WCI also has some of the most prominent cancer specialists in the nation, including:
- Daniel Miller, M.D., surgical director and the assistant professor of surgery at WCI’s Thoracic Oncology Program
- Dong M. Shin, M.D., director of WCI’s Clinical and Translational Cancer Prevention Program
- Suresh Ramalingam, M.D., director of WCI’s Division of Medical Oncology
WCI’s expansive clinical and research trials consist of four different research programs:
- Cancer Prevention and Control (CPC)
- Cancer Genetics and Epigenetics (CGE)
- Cancer Cell Biology (CCB)
- Discovery and Developmental Therapeutics (DDT)
Winship Cancer Institute: Emory University
1365C Clifton Road
Atlanta, Ga. 30322, 404-778-1900
For veterans, Atlanta’s VA Medical Center offers comprehensive cancer care, with in-depth research managed by both Emory scientists and experienced VA physicians.
Atlanta VA Medical Center
1670 Clairmont Road
Decatur, Ga. 30033, 404-321-6111
Getting Legal Help in Atlanta
If you’ve been injured by asbestos, there is a good chance that you’ll qualify for considerable compensation. Remember to fill out our form to get your free Financial Compensation Packet, with information on top asbestos and mesothelioma lawyers in your area. If you have questions or need assistance, contact us toll-free at 800-793-4540.
Page Reviewed and Edited by Mesothelioma Attorney Paul Danziger
Paul Danziger grew up in Houston, Texas and earned a law degree from Northwestern University School of Law in Chicago. For over 25 years years he has focused on representing mesothelioma cancer victims and others hurt by asbestos exposure. Paul and his law firm have represented thousands of people diagnosed with mesothelioma, asbestosis, and lung cancer, recovering hundreds of millions of dollars for injured clients. Every client is extremely important to Paul and he will take every call from clients who want to speak with him. Paul and his law firm handle mesothelioma cases throughout the United States.