The construction of many of the buildings, facilities, and naval ships in Annapolis involved asbestos, leading to exposure, illness, and lawsuits. An Annapolis mesothelioma lawyer can be your ally in fighting for justice.
If you or a loved one suffer from mesothelioma, asbestos-related lung cancer, or asbestosis, you may qualify for significant compensation. We invite you to fill out our form today for a free Financial Compensation Packet, filled with information about experienced mesothelioma lawyers in Annapolis, how to get paid in 90 days, how to file an asbestos trust fund claim, and much more.
Free Financial Compensation Packet
- Info on law firms that will recover your highest compensation
- Learn how to get paid in 90 days
- File for your share of $30 billion in trust funds
Annapolis Asbestos Facts
- Only Baltimore has more asbestos-related deaths than Annapolis in Maryland.
- Between 1999 and 2013, 536 people in Anne Arundel County and Annapolis died from illnesses related to asbestos exposure.
- The maritime and naval industry in Annapolis were major contributors to exposure.
Annapolis and the Maritime Industry
Ships, both civilian and military, used asbestos components and materials for decades, up until about 1980.
Any workplace that involved building, repairing, maintaining or crewing ships put workers at risk of asbestos exposure. As an important naval center, asbestos has long been a risk in Annapolis:
- The Annapolis Naval Academy, also known as the U.S. Naval Academy, was in the spotlight when officials found asbestos in the school’s public works department in March 1995.
- Sheeting materials with asbestos were found and put students, staff members, workers, and school mechanics at risk of exposure.
- The sheeting was originally created for gaskets and pipes in the school’s heating plants and mechanical rooms.
- The materials, found to contain 80 percent asbestos, were used for decades with no appropriate protections for workers.
- Although the occupational health manager of the school ordered all of the sheeting to be removed, it only occurred well after several people had already been exposed.
Other Job Sites Associated with Asbestos in Annapolis
- Kevin Hughes LTD
- Old Mill Senior High School
- Court of Special Appeals Building
- Tawes Fine Arts Building (University of Maryland)
Maryland Governor Sponsors Asbestos-Related Lawsuits
In 1991, Governor William Donald Schaefer agreed to sponsor a bill for asbestos victims seeking to file a lawsuit against both local and state governments. This was an effort to recover millions of dollars from distributors and manufacturers of asbestos.
The bill changed the state of Maryland’s “statute of repose.” The law previously stated that building manufacturers and their insurers were protected from lawsuits for at least 20 years after the buildings were created.
Due to the long-term latency period associated with asbestos-related diseases, the repose law was seen as unfair as it prevented most victims asbestos illnesses from seeking damages for life-threatening diseases.
Getting Medical Help in Maryland
If you’ve been exposed to asbestos, treatment from a comprehensive cancer care center with experts in mesothelioma. These specialists can offer the best treatment for life-threatening and rare asbestos illnesses.
- Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Care Center at John Hopkins: Weinberg Building, 401 N. Broadway, Baltimore, Maryland, 21231, 410-502-1133
- University of Maryland Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Cancer Center: 22 South Greene Street, Baltimore, Maryland, 21201, 800-888-8823
- National Cancer Institute: 6116 Executive Boulevard, Suite 300, Bethesda, Maryland, 20892, 800-422-6237
Physicians who offer comprehensive cancer care treatment
- Dr. Stephen Yang (Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Care Center at Johns Hopkins)
- Dr. Petr F. Hausner (the University of Maryland Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Cancer Center)
Getting Legal Help in Annapolis
As aforementioned, if you’ve been exposed to asbestos and suffer from mesothelioma, asbestos-related lung cancer, or asbestosis, you may be entitled to considerable compensation. Don’t forget to fill out our form to get our free Financial Compensation Packet, filled with information on the experienced asbestos and mesothelioma attorneys in your area. For questions and assistance, feel free to contact us at 800-793-4540.
Page Reviewed and Edited by Maryland Mesothelioma Lawyer Demetrios Zacharopoulos
As a partner with Flint Law Firm, LLC in Baltimore, Maryland, Demetrios Zacharopoulos has devoted his 20 years as a litigator to helping victims of mesothelioma and asbestos exposure. He has been honored for his work, which has included winning large amounts in settlements and verdicts for clients with mesothelioma, lung cancer, and other asbestos illnesses.