Des Moines’ economic history began with coal mining and railroads, and as it expanded, asbestos use became common, putting workers at risk of developing deadly diseases. Victims of asbestos exposure are now fighting for justice, with the help of experienced Des Moines mesothelioma lawyers.
If you or a loved one suffer from mesothelioma, asbestos-related lung cancer, or asbestosis, you may be entitled to considerable compensation for pain, suffering, lost wages, medical bills, and more. Fill out our form to receive our free Financial Compensation Packet. Our packet is loaded with information on experienced mesothelioma attorneys in Des Moines, how to file a claim for asbestos trust funds, how to get paid in 90 days, and more.
Free Financial Compensation Packet
- Info on law firms that will recover your highest compensation
- Learn how to get paid in 90 days
- File for your share of $30 billion in trust funds
Facts about Asbestos in Des Moines
- An early manufacturing economy set the stage for widespread asbestos use in Des Moines.
- Factory jobs in the area began declining by the middle of the 20th century, but by then many workers had already been exposed to asbestos.
- As the city grew, new construction in the early- and middle-1900s also incorporated asbestos into many homes and public buildings.
- Between 199 and 2013 there were 200 asbestos-related deaths in Polk County and Des Moines, the second-highest rate in the state.
Asbestos and the Power Industry
Power generation is an industry that heavily used asbestos for decades, relying on it to provide fireproofing and insulation. Iowa Power & Light, now known as Interstate Power and Light (IPL) operated numerous power plants in the state, including in the Des Moines area.
IPL is now a subsidiary of the Alliant Energy Corporation. The majority of IPL’s power generation plants are coal or oil-fired and many are older and were constructed with asbestos.
Iowa’s older power stations date from the 1950s and 1960s, when they operated under the original Iowa Power & Light. Most of these facilities had asbestos issues; both IPL and Alliant have assumed liability for these problems.
Des Moines Residents Still Paying for Asbestos Cleanup
Many of the older buildings in the city still contain harmful asbestos.
In early 2020, a downtown office building, the original Central Life Assurance Company building, is set to be renovated to the tune of $23.3 million.
A chunk of the budget is going to remediation of asbestos in the mid-century building. The city council agreed to a tax increase to finance the abatement.
Other Sources of Asbestos in Des Moines
Along with Iowa Power & Light and old office buildings, many other Des Moines buildings and workplaces contained and may still have asbestos. This includes public schools.
The following businesses, job sites, and buildings once used asbestos in Des Moines:
- East High School
- Herbert Hoover High School
- Abraham Lincoln High School
- North High School
- Theodore Roosevelt High School
- Brody Middle School
- Callanan Middle School
- Goodell Middle School
- Warren G. Harding Middle School
- Amos Hiatt Middle School
- Hoyt Middle School
- Cattell Elementary School
- Edmunds Elementary School
- Garton Elementary School
- Greenwood Elementary School
- Hanawalt Elementary School
- Howe Elementary School
- Hubbell Elementary School
- King Elementary School
- Madison Elementary School
- McKinley Elementary School
- Oak Park Elementary School
- Park Avenue Elementary School
- Phillips Elementary School
- Pleasant Hill Elementary School
- Samuelson Elementary School
- Smouse Opportunity School
- Stowe Elementary School
- Wright Elementary School
- Mercy Hospital
- Lutheran Hospital
- Iowa Methodist Hospital
- Blank Children’s Hospital
- Des Moines International Airport
- Des Moines Railway Company
Construction and Manufacturing
- Allied Construction Services (Des Moines)
- Armstrong Rubber Manufacturing Company
- Archer Daniels Midland Soybean Processing Plant
- Court Avenue Brewing Company
- Eagle Iron Works
- Globe Machinery & Supply Company
- Pittsburgh-Des Moines Steel Company
- John Deere Financial Center
- A.P. Green Refractories Company
- L&L Insulations
- Central Asbestos & Supply
- City Plumbing Supply (now City Supply)
Other Des Moines Businesses
- R.M. Daly & Company
- Linde Gas
- Meredith Corporation
- MidAmerican Energy Company
State Government Buildings
- Iowa State Capitol
- Iowa State Board of Education
Treatment for Asbestos Illnesses in Des Moines
UnityPoint Health of Des Moines offers cancer treatment for patients with asbestos-related illnesses, including malignant mesothelioma, asbestosis, and asbestos-related lung cancer.
Oncologists, thoracic surgeons, and medical researchers have treated thousands of cancer patients from all over the United States.
UnityPoint also conducts clinical studies in order to develop new treatments to improve patients’ quality of life, and eventually discover a cure for mesothelioma.
UnityPoint Health – Des Moines
1200 Pleasant Street
Des Moines, Iowa 50309
Legal Help in Des Moines and Additional Information
Remember, if you’ve been diagnosed with mesothelioma, asbestos-related lung cancer, or asbestosis, you may qualify for significant compensation. Remember to fill out our from to get your free Financial Compensation Packet, with information on experienced asbestos and mesothelioma lawyers in your area. For questions and assistance, feel free to contact us at 800-793-4540.
Page Reviewed and Edited by Mesothelioma Attorney Paul Danziger
Paul Danziger grew up in Houston, Texas and earned a law degree from Northwestern University School of Law in Chicago. For over 25 years years he has focused on representing mesothelioma cancer victims and others hurt by asbestos exposure. Paul and his law firm have represented thousands of people diagnosed with mesothelioma, asbestosis, and lung cancer, recovering significant compensation for injured clients. Every client is extremely important to Paul and he will take every call from clients who want to speak with him. Paul and his law firm handle mesothelioma cases throughout the United States.