Buffalo, New York, was once a major center for the construction, transportation, manufacturing, steel, and railway industries. The city’s economy is now less industrialized, but this past left behind a deadly legacy of asbestos exposure.
If you or a loved have mesothelioma or asbestos-related lung cancer, you may be eligible for a large amount of compensation. Fill out our form to receive our free Financial Compensation Packet. Our packet is loaded with information on experienced mesothelioma attorneys in Buffalo, how to file a claim for asbestos trust funds, how to get paid in 90 days, and more
Free Financial Compensation Packet
- Info on law firms that will recover your highest compensation
- Learn how to get paid in 90 days
- File for your share of $30 billion in trust funds
Buffalo Asbestos Facts
- The state of New York had over 12,000 deaths from asbestos-related illnesses between 1999 and 2013.
- Erie County and Buffalo accounted for 1,133 of those deaths, the second highest number in the state.
- Several industries in the Buffalo area contributed to deadly asbestos exposure, including chemical manufacturing and steel.
Dupont Yerkes Plant
For more than 100 years, the DuPont Corporation employed many workers in and around Buffalo. The DuPont Yerkes Plant, first opened in the 1920s, initially made rayon materials for tires.
DuPont then began manufacturing cellophane, followed by Tedlar, a vinyl chloride film that’s weather-resistant and Corian.
As with most industrial plants prior to strict regulations enforced by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the DuPont Yerkes Plant relied on asbestos in machinery, equipment, building materials, and products.
Numerous former workers at the Dupont Yerkes Plant developed life-threatening illnesses after prolonged exposure to asbestos fibers while at work.
Steel was another important industry in the Buffalo area, and Bethlehem Steel employed many residents for years. The company used asbestos to protect against heat and fire.
Workers from the plant are now getting sick and recalling the toxic dust they inhaled for years on the job. Thousands have filed claims for compensation through a government program, but many have been denied.
Buffalo Job Sites Associated with Asbestos
Buffalo was home to a number of job sites, buildings, and companies that once heavily used asbestos in products and equipment. Many are still in use today.
Schools, Churches, and Hospitals
- Ascension Church
- Bennett High School
- Buffalo Technical High School
- Burgard Vocational High School
- Hutchinson High School
- Maryvale High School
- South Park High School
- Buffalo City Hospital
- Columbus Hospital
- Deaconess Hospital
- Sisters of Charity Hospital
- VA Western New York
- Buffalo State College
- Catholic Diocese of Buffalo
- St. Joseph’s Cathedral
- University of Buffalo
- Beth Zion Temple
- Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital
- Mercyhurst University
- Buffalo General Electric Company
- Western Electric Corporation
- Allied Chemical and Dye
- Hooker Chemical Plant
- Schoellkopf Aniline and Chemical Works Inc
- Shell Chemical Company
Oil and Steel Companies
- Felmont Oil Company
- Ashland Oil
- Mobil Oil Corporation
- Acme Steel
- Bethlehem Steel Corporation
- Donner Steel Works
- Eastern Concrete Steel Company
- Lackawanna Iron and Steel Company
- Ramco Steel
- Buffalo Athletic Club
- Buffalo Cold Storage Company (Elmwood Warehousing)
- Buffalo Color Corporation
- Buffalo Crushed Stone, Inc.
- Buffalo Furnace Company
- Buffalo St. Railway Company
- Buffalo Y.M.C.A.
- Buffalo Waterworks
- Claxton Asbestos
- Colonel Ward Pumping Station
- Davis‐Fetch & Company, Incorporated
- Donner Union Coke Corporation
- Dunkirk Steam Station
- East Buffalo Brewing Company
- Eastman Kodak
- Fidelity Trust Company
- General Motors Chevrolet Plant
- General Railway Signal Company
- Gioia Macaroni Company, Inc
- Hinde and Dauch Paper Company
- Hudson Plastering Corporation
- Sorrento Cheese Factory
- Spencer Kellogg and Sons
- Mckinnon Dash and Hardware Company
- Rogers, Brown, and Iron Company
Getting Cancer Treatment In Buffalo
The Roswell Park Cancer Institute (RPCI) is backed by the National Cancer Institute as an innovative, cutting-edge cancer center. It is one of only 39 cancer centers designated by NCI.
RPCI offers innovative treatment for every kind of asbestos-related disease, including malignant mesothelioma, asbestos-related lung cancer, and asbestosis. There are a number of discipline areas and treatment options at RPCI, including:
- Blood and marrow transplants
- Radiation and radiation medication
- Clinical Genetics
Roswell Park Cancer Institute
Elm & Carlton Street
Buffalo, NY 14263
Phone: 1- 877-275-7724 (ASK-RPCI)
In nearby Rochester, the Wilmot Cancer Institute, at the University of Rochester Medical Center, is considered among the best for cancer treatment centers in the Western New York area. Patients are offered innovative treatment options and services, in state-of-the-art buildings, that consist of:
- Radiation therapy
- Clinical trials
- Cancer counseling
- Out-of-town lodging assistance
- Financial counseling
Wilmot Cancer Institute – University of Rochester Medical Center
601 Elmwood Avenue, Box 704
Rochester, NY 14642
Legal Help in Buffalo
Remember to fill out our form to get your free Financial Compensation Packet, with information on asbestos and mesothelioma lawyers in your area. For questions and assistance, feel free to contact us at 800-793-4540.
Page Reviewed and Edited by New York Mesothelioma Lawyer Joseph W. Belluck
Joseph W. Belluck is a founding member of the New York mesothelioma law firm Belluck & Fox, LLP. He graduated magna cum laude from SUNY Buffalo School of Law and has since spent more than 20 years advocating on behalf of victims of asbestos diseases. His work has included more than $1 billion in settlements for victims. He is also deeply involved in public service and philanthropy, serving on advisory boards, state commissions, and groups dedicated to helping children in foster care.