Vermiculite processing, steam valve manufacturing, steel and cement companies, and other job sites used asbestos in the Tampa area for decades. Qualified Tampa mesothelioma lawyers are now helping victims of asbestos exposure fight for justice.
If you or a loved one have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, asbestos-related lung cancer, or asbestosis, you may be entitled to substantial compensation. Fill out our form to get a free Financial Compensation Packet. You’ll learn about the experienced mesothelioma lawyers in Tamps, how to get paid in 90 days, how to file a claim for the asbestos trust funds, and more.
Free Financial Compensation Packet
- Info on law firms that will recover your highest compensation
- Learn how to get paid in 90 days
- File for your share of $30 billion in trust funds
Tampa and Asbestos Facts
- Tampa and Hillsborough County had the sixth-highest number of deaths related to asbestos exposure, with nearly 700 between 1999 and 2013.
- Nearby Pinellas County ranked second in the state with over 1,000 deaths.
- A vermiculite processing plant in Tampa received shipments of asbestos-contaminated minerals for decades.
Leslie Controls Inc.
Tampa’s Leslie Controls Inc. is a manufacturing company that produces and distributes steam valves, water pressure valves, and regulators to the military, power plants, and processing plants. For years, the company provided parts for United States Navy vessels during World War I and World War II.
Before the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) regulations on asbestos use, Leslie Controls used asbestos in many of its parts and equipment, including pumps, gaskets, pipe parts, steam valves, and much more. Asbestos was valued for its ability to withstand heat and its fireproof and insulating properties.
During the 1990s, Watt Industries, an independent valve manufacturer that provides its services worldwide, purchased Leslie Controls. It then went on to become a subsidiary of CIRCOR, and still remains a subsidiary today.
Asbestos use resulted in numerous lawsuits against Leslie Controls, not only from those who worked directly for the company in manufacturing but also from people who worked with and around the products sold by the company, such as military veterans.
In 2010, the company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, with over 1,000 asbestos personal injury claims against them. Many of the claims stemmed from asbestos use on United States Navy vessels, primarily from the 1940s through the mid-1980s.
As part of the reorganization plan with their bankruptcy, a trust fund, entitled the Leslie Control Asbestos Personal Trust, was established in 2011 with an estimated $75 million.
Leslie Controls used asbestos in a number of products including:
- Steam and control valves
- Steam water heaters
- Packing materials
Leslie Controls continued make these products with asbestos until 1988.
Zonolite and W.R. Grace Vermiculite Plant
Another major contributor to asbestos exposure risks in the area was the Zonolite and W.R. Grace and Co. vermiculite exfoliation plant. Vermiculite from the W.R. Grace mines in Libby, Montana was sent to this facility for decades, between the 1950s and 1991.
The Libby mine shipped vermiculite all over the country, but it was only discovered years too late that the mineral was contaminated with asbestos. The Tampa site received thousands of shipments that contributed to exposure in workers and nearby residents.
Additional Tampa Sites Associated with Asbestos
Many other buildings and workplaces in and around Tampa used asbestos and put workers and residents at risk of exposure:
Schools and Hospitals
- University of South Florida
- St. Joseph’s Hospital
- Tampa Bay Hospital
- Tampa Veterans Administration Hospital
- Tampa General Hospital
- Macdill Air Force Base
Gas, Water, and Electric Companies
- Florida Power & Light Company (FPL)
- Gulf Power Company
- Lakeland Electric
- Tampa Gas Company
- Tampa Water Works
- Black Point Powerhouse
Steel and Cement Companies
- Florida Portland Cement Company
- Robert J. Clark Tampa Steel Erecting Company
- Florida Steel Corporation
- Acousti Engineering Company
- Airetron Engineering Company
- Buell Engineering
- Stone and Webster Engineers
Additional Buildings and Businesses
- Aerodyne Investment Castings
- AP Green Refractories Company
- Cameron & Barkley Company
- Consolidated Citrus Products Company
- Dixie Linen and Uniform Company
- Gaylord Container Corporation
- Glidden Durkee Company
- Gulf Brass Works
- Herman Sausage Factory Incorporated
- Hillsborough County Animal Control
- Hillsborough County Courthouse
- Johns‐Manville Sales Corporation
- Linde Air Products Company
- Nitram Chemicals, Inc.
- Ocean Shipholdings, Inc.
- Owens-Corning Fiberglass
- Tampa Armature Works
- Tampa International Airport (TPA)
- Tampa Ship Repair & Drydock Company
- Tampa Tank and Florida Structural Steel
- Thatcher Glass Manufacturing Company
- Thompson Hayward Siding
- Tiffany Tile Corporation
- TSR Corporation
- U.S. Phosphoric Productions
- Union Carbide Corporation
- Westinghouse Electric Company
Medical Help in Tampa
Established in 1986, Tampa’s H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute is a non-profit, comprehensive cancer treatment center at the University of South Florida’s Tampa campus. It is a National Cancer Institute (NCI) Comprehensive Cancer Center.
An NCI-backed cancer center offers the most comprehensive treatment options, research, clinical trials, and cutting-edge medical technology.
The H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center also offers a total of 13 specifically-designed clinical programs for the treatment of various cancer types, including malignant mesothelioma and asbestos-related lung cancer.
H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute
12902 Magnolia Drive
Tampa, FL 33612
Tampa Legal Help
As previously mentioned, if you’ve been exposed to asbestos and suffer from mesothelioma, asbestos-related lung cancer, or asbestosis, you may be entitled to compensatory damages. Get our free Financial Compensation Packet for information on the top mesothelioma and asbestos lawyers. If you have questions or need assistance, contact us toll-free at 800-793-4540.
Page Reviewed and Edited by Florida Mesothelioma Lawyer Rebecca S. Vinocur, P.A.
Rebecca S. Vinocur heads up her own mesothelioma law firm based in Coral Gables, Florida. A graduate of the University of Miami School of Law, Rebecca has over twenty years of mesothelioma law practice in the state of Florida. She uses her experience and knowledge of asbestos litigation to fight on behalf of asbestos victims who are battling mesothelioma and other related illnesses.