Mesothelioma, a life-threatening type of cancer that is aggressive and difficult to treat, is strongly linked to asbestos exposure. Many victims of exposure at work or in their own homes rely on the advice of a mesothelioma law firm to get justice and to help them cover the overwhelming expenses of this disease.
Most victims experienced asbestos exposure in their past workplaces. Manufacturers of asbestos-containing materials (ACMs) often knew the dangers and risks it posed, but failed to inform companies or their employees. People who developed health issues from asbestos exposure may be eligible for financial compensation to cover expenses.
If you suffer from mesothelioma, asbestos-related lung cancer, or asbestosis, you may be eligible for a large amount of compensation. Currently, there is over $30 billion in asbestos trust funds, set up for those who have been diagnosed with an asbestos-related illness. Fill out our form to receive our free Financial Compensation Packet. Our packet is loaded with information on leading mesothelioma attorneys in your area, how to file a claim for asbestos trust funds, how to get paid in 90 days, and more.
Why You Need a Mesothelioma Law Firm
Law firms specializing in mesothelioma focus on victims of asbestos exposure who have developed cancer and other asbestos-related diseases. It is important to choose law firms with the relevant experience for your asbestos case.
A general personal injury lawyer may be good at what they do, but asbestos lawsuits are unique. To be successful going up against companies that exposed workers to asbestos requires specialized knowledge and relevant experience. Only choose a team that specifically takes on asbestos and mesothelioma cases.
Attorneys at asbestos law firms know how and where industries and specific companies used asbestos and how they exposed workers. They also have the investigative skills needed to uncover when and where companies exposed workers to asbestos. You need this guidance and advice from the right law firm to have the best chance of a successful claim or lawsuit.
Review of Our Services
“When dad was diagnosed with mesothelioma, our world was turned upside down. Not knowing what to do next, I researched and interviewed many firms. Some firms were nothing more than marketers. Others offered up call screeners to take my name and number. And then there was Mesothelioma Lawyer Center. It was with them that I found peace, knowledge and professionalism. They have done everything they said they would do and then some. Contacting Mesothelioma Lawyer Center was the best decision I could have made for my family.”~ Dale R.
How Can a Mesothelioma Law Firm Help Me?
The legal process can be confusing. This is especially true for victims of asbestos exposure who are battling a deadly illness while trying to sort through legal information and make major decisions. The right law firm will guide you and help you better understand your options. They can provide answers to important questions like these:
- How Can I Prove My Workplace Contained Asbestos? Experienced asbestos lawyers investigate and determine how and when asbestos was used in your past workplaces.
- Do I Have a Valid Asbestos Claim? A law firm will quickly review your case and tell you how strong it is. They can estimate your chances of success in a settlement or lawsuit and won’t take your case unless they feel confident about winning.
- How Much Compensation Can I Get? If the firm decides you have an asbestos case, they will estimate how much you may get for compensation. This is based on past expenses, daily expenses, medical bills, lost wages, emotional trauma, physical suffering, and future expenses. This is not a guaranteed amount.
- Who is Responsible for My Illness? Companies can move, go out of business, or change ownership. This makes it hard to figure out who exposed you. Part of the law firm’s job is to research, and determine responsible parties liable for your exposure to asbestos.
How to Choose the Best Asbestos Law Firm
Choose a law firm that specializes in asbestos cases. Personal injury law firms may advertise taking on asbestos cases but actually take on all kinds of personal injury cases. Also consider these factors:
- The law firm should be able to prove it has experience working on with mesothelioma cases.
- The law firm must be extremely knowledgeable in asbestos laws and asbestos diseases.
- Look for law firms with a reputation for professionalism and compassion for sick clients.
- The law firm should always keep you updated on details of your case.
- A reputable firm will give you an initial consultation at no charge.
- Never go with a law firm that promises you a certain outcome.
Working with an Asbestos Law Firm
There are things you can do to make the legal process go as smoothly as possible. Make sure your lawyers have what they need to help you win:
- First, provide your lawyers with all related medical records.
- Next, be prepared to provide your work history and information, including the full company names, addresses, phone numbers, your job roles, and how long and when you worked at each job.
- Finally, keep track of all your expenses related to your illness. This includes copies of medical bills, mileage used to get to appointments, medical supplies, and even mental health care related to being sick.
Paying for Asbestos Lawyers
A law firm working with mesothelioma clients knows that patients cannot always afford up-front fees for legal representation. Many firms work on what’s known as a contingency fee basis. This means they only get paid when you get paid.
These law firms usually charge by contingency. This means they only take a fee when they win. The fee is a percentage of your settlement or verdict amount. The percentage varies by law firm, so make sure you agree on a percentage before hiring a lawyer.
If a law firm doesn’t provide a contingency fee option for payment, it means they don’t have the financial resources to present and prove your case. Select a firm that has the financial capability to take on your case on a contingency fee basis.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to go to court?
You may not be physically able to sit in a court room for an extended time because of your illness. Know that most mesothelioma lawsuits are settled out of court.
But if both sides fail to reach an agreement on a settlement, you may have to endure a trial. An experienced law firm will help you through each step, and if you are too ill to attend, make arrangements for you to record testimony.
What if I don’t know which company exposed me to asbestos?
Asbestos law firms have experience digging up information and uncovering companies responsible for exposure. Manufacturers of asbestos materials provided to job sites are usually the companies held responsible, and there may be more than one involved.
I have workers’ compensation benefits. Can a law firm still help me if I have other compensation benefits?
Other benefits, such as workers’ compensation or VA benefits, do not disqualify you from recovering damages from the companies who exposed you to asbestos. It may, however, change how much you are entitled to recover.
Where Can I Get Help Finding an Experienced Asbestos Law Firm?
Simply fill out our form to get your free Financial Compensation Packet, with information on top asbestos and mesothelioma lawyers in your area. For additional assistance, contact us at 800-793-4540.