Mesothelioma, a life-threatening type of cancer that is aggressive and difficult to treat, is conclusively linked to asbestos exposure. Many victims of asbestos exposure at work or in their homes seek the advice of a mesothelioma law firm to get justice and to help them cover the overwhelming expenses of this disease.
Most victims experienced asbestos exposure at work. In many cases, the manufacturers of asbestos and asbestos-containing materials knew what dangers and risks it posed but failed to inform other companies or their employees. People who developed health issues from asbestos exposure may be eligible for financial compensation to cover expenses such as lost wages, medical bills, emotional suffering, physical pain, and more.
If you suffer from mesothelioma, asbestos-related lung cancer, or asbestosis, you may be eligible for a large amount of compensation. Currently, there is over $30 billion in asbestos trust funds, set up for those who have been diagnosed with an asbestos-related illness. Fill out our form to receive our free Financial Compensation Packet. Our packet is loaded with information on leading mesothelioma attorneys in your area, how to file a claim for asbestos trust funds, how to get paid in 90 days, and more.
Why You Need a Mesothelioma Law Firm
Law firms specializing in mesothelioma focus on victims of asbestos exposure who have developed cancer or other asbestos-related diseases. For an asbestos case, it is important to choose legal representation with relevant experience.
A general personal injury lawyer may have worked on a variety of cases, but mesothelioma lawsuits are different. General lawyers may lack the specific knowledge of complicated state-by-state asbestos laws that will ensure the best outcome. Choose a legal team that specifically takes on mesothelioma and asbestos personal injury cases.
Attorneys at asbestos law firms know how asbestos was used in a range of industries where workers were exposed. They also have investigative skills needed to uncover when and where companies exposed workers to asbestos. You need this guidance and advice from the right law firm to have the best chance of a successful claim or lawsuit.
Review of Our Services
“When dad was diagnosed with mesothelioma, our world was turned upside down. Not knowing what to do next, I researched and interviewed many firms. Some firms were nothing more than marketers. Others offered up call screeners to take my name and number. And then there was Mesothelioma Lawyer Center. It was with them that I found peace, knowledge and professionalism. They have done everything they said they would do and then some. Contacting Mesothelioma Lawyer Center was the best decision I could have made for my family.”~ Dale R.
How Can a Mesothelioma Law Firm Help Me?
For non-lawyers the legal process can be confusing. This is especially true for victims of asbestos exposure who are battling serious illness while also trying to sort through legal documents. The right law firm will guide you and help you better understand the legal process. They will explain your options and provide answers to important questions:
- How Can I Prove My Workplace Contained Asbestos? Provide the right lawyers with your work history, and they will investigate and determine how and when asbestos was used at your workplace.
- Do I Have a Valid Asbestos Claim? A law firm specializing in asbestos cases can quickly review your information and tell you if you have a valid case. They can estimate your chances of success in a settlement or lawsuit. Experienced attorneys won’t take your case unless they feel confident they can win it.
- What is My Case Worth? If the firm decides you have an asbestos case, they will come up with an estimate for how much you may get for compensation. Based on past expenses, daily expenses, medical bills, lost wages, emotional trauma, physical suffering, and future expenses, the estimate is realistic but never guaranteed.
- Who is Responsible for My Illness? Companies can move, go out of business, suppress information, and change ownership, making it hard to figure out who exposed you. Part of the law firm’s job is to research, seek out, and determine the entity or responsible parties liable for your exposure to asbestos and resulting illness.
How to Choose the Best Asbestos Law Firm
Choose a law firm that truly specializes in asbestos cases. Also consider other factors as some firms may be a better fit for you than others. Some personal injury law firms advertise taking on asbestos cases while in reality they take on all kinds of cases. In addition to choosing lawyers you feel comfortable with, consider these factors:
- The law firm should be able to prove it has experience in dealing with mesothelioma cases.
- The law firm must be extremely knowledgeable in asbestos laws and asbestos diseases.
- Look for law firms with a stellar reputation for professionalism.
- The law firm should always keep you updated on your case.
- A reputable firm will give you an initial consultation at no charge before deciding on a firm.
- Never go with a law firm that promises or guarantees you a certain outcome.
Working with an Asbestos Law Firm
There are things you can do to make sure the legal process goes as smoothly as possible and that your lawyers are in a good position to help you win:
- First, provide your lawyers with all relevant medical records.
- Next, be prepared to provide the law firm with your work history and information including the full company names, addresses, phone numbers, your job roles, and how long and when you worked at each job.
- Finally, keep track of all your related expenses. Keep copies of medical bills, hospital visits, mileage used to get to appointments, medical supplies, and even mental health care related to being sick. This list will help your legal team better understand the compensation you need.
Paying for Asbestos Lawyers
A law firm working with clients diagnosed with mesothelioma know that patients cannot always afford up-front fees for legal representation. Many firms work on what’s known as a contingency fee basis instead. This means they only get paid when you get paid.
Law firms usually charge based on a percentage taken out of your total settlement or verdict amount. The percentage varies depending on the firm. Make sure you understand how the fees and percentages work with the firm beforehand so that there will be no confusion or surprises later.
If a law firm doesn’t provide a contingency fee option for payment, it is likely a sign that they don’t have the financial resources to fully research and prove your case. Select a firm that has the financial capability to take on your case on a contingency fee basis.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to go to court?
If you’re dealing with an asbestos-related illness, you probably do not want to or cannot physically sit or stand in a court room for an extended time. Most mesothelioma lawsuits are settled out of court. Going to trial is unusual.
If both sides fail to reach an agreement on a settlement, you may have to go to trial. An experienced law firm will help you through each step, and if you are too ill to attend, can make arrangements for you to record testimony.
What if I don’t know which company exposed me to asbestos?
An asbestos law firm’s job is to uncover those responsible for your exposure. Manufacturers of asbestos materials provided to job sites are usually the companies held responsible, and there may be more than one involved.
I have workers’ compensation benefits. Can a law firm still help me even if I have other compensation benefits?
Other benefits, such as workers’ compensation or VA benefits, do not disqualify you from seeking compensation from the companies who exposed you to asbestos. An asbestos law firm can help you file a lawsuit against the responsible parties.
Where Can I Get Help Finding an Experienced Asbestos Law Firm?
Simply fill out our form to get your free Financial Compensation Packet, with information on top asbestos and mesothelioma lawyers in your area. For additional assistance, contact us at 800-793-4540.