Avon Ordered to Pay Mesothelioma Victim $52.1 Million

A California jury has ordered the iconic cosmetic company Avon and another defendant to pay $52.1 million in damages to a 76-year-old woman and her husband as compensation for causing her malignant mesothelioma. The woman had claimed that Avon’s talc-based products were contaminated with asbestos, and after weighing the testimony in the case, the jury agreed.

avon products

76-Year-Old Mesothelioma Victim Awarded Significant Jury Award

Rita-Ann Chapman and her husband Gary filed their mesothelioma lawsuit against both Avon and Mr. Chapman’s former employer, Hyster-Yale Group after she was diagnosed with the terminal disease. Her claim against Avon detailed her lifelong use of the company’s products, while Hyster-Yale Group was blamed for having negligently allowed Mr. Chapman to carry asbestos home on his work clothes, which further exposed Mrs. Chapman to asbestos when she did the laundry.

The jury in the mesothelioma case heard convincing evidence presented against both companies. Mr. Chapman’s employer was a forklift manufacturer, and the jury was shown that they were informed of asbestos’ dangers but continued selling asbestos-contaminated parts. The company’s actions were described as being egregious, with documentation of asbestos’ dangers being purposely destroyed once they began being named in personal injury claims. Parts that were labeled with warnings about asbestos had those warnings removed before being provided to consumers. Similarly, Avon continued selling asbestos-contaminated products months after learning that they could harm people.

$52.1 in Mesothelioma Damages Sends a Powerful Message

After the jury awarded the mesothelioma victim monetary damages of $40 million, her attorneys asked that the amount of punitive damages be set high enough that it would send a powerful message to the multi-million dollar companies. In response, the jury added $10.3 million to the amount that the company has to pay. Avon is responsible for 90% of the total $52.1 million, and the remaining 10% will be paid by Hyland.

FREE Financial Compensation Packet

  • Info on law firms that will recover your HIGHEST COMPENSATION
  • Learn how to get paid in 90 days
  • File for your share of $30 billion in trust funds
Paul Danziger

Paul Danziger

Reviewer and Editor

Paul Danziger grew up in Houston, Texas and earned a law degree from Northwestern University School of Law in Chicago. For over 25 years years he has focused on representing mesothelioma cancer victims and others hurt by asbestos exposure. Paul and his law firm have represented thousands of people diagnosed with mesothelioma, asbestosis, and lung cancer, recovering significant compensation for injured clients. Every client is extremely important to Paul and he will take every call from clients who want to speak with him. Paul and his law firm handle mesothelioma cases throughout the United States.

Connect with Mesothelioma Attorney Paul Danziger