As mesothelioma supporters and advocates gear up for this weekend’s 11th annual Mesothelioma Awareness Day, a 71-year-old mesothelioma survivor is reaching to tell mesothelioma victims to “forget the prognosis” and keep living life.
Paul Kraus, an Australian author of the popular book, “Surviving Mesothelioma and Other Cancers: A Patient’s Guide,” has lived with mesothelioma for 18 years and is still going strong. Kraus’ life hasn’t been an easy one. He was born in a Nazi concentration camp in 1944 during World War II. Along with his mother and his 2-year-old brother, Kraus escaped the camp and had to endure a long, difficult trek across Europe in order to get his freedom.
In 1948, Krause and his family immigrated to Australia on a refugee ship. Once they arrived, the loved the country so much that the quickly adapted to the Australian way of living. Around 50 years later, Kraus developed malignant peritoneal mesothelioma, a rare form of the disease that attacks the abdominal lining.
As a teenager, Kraus worked in a factory that heavily used asbestos in many of its products. By the time he was officially diagnosed with peritoneal mesothelioma, the cancer had already spread throughout his body. Since the cancer was so spread out, physicians told Kraus he only had around six months to live, yet years later, Kraus is still alive and giving hope to others diagnosed with mesothelioma.
Lifestyle Changes and Emotional Support
Kraus was determined to survive after his diagnosis. While getting strong emotional support from his wife, the author made necessary diet changes that include eating as healthy as possible. He also began complementary, alternative options along with medical treatment from his physicians. In his book, Kraus provides in-depth details on how mesothelioma patients can change their lives for the better and fight the disease.
Most importantly, Kraus wants mesothelioma patients to disregard the prognosis that doctors give them. In most situations, doctors tell patients with advanced mesothelioma that that only have a year, if not a little more, to live. However, Kraus is living proof that even the most advanced stages of mesothelioma doesn’t automatically indicate a low survival rate.
Tips to Extend Your Mesothelioma Survival Rate
- Be certain to keep your diet as healthy as possible. Consume green, leafy vegetables, fruits, and lean meats, while avoiding food high is empty carbohydrates and sugary-foods
- Consider alternative treatment methods, such as meditation, yoga, acupuncture, and pilates
- Exercise as much as possible, but make sure you and your physician create a solid plan beforehand
- Keep stress as minimal as possible
- Visit family and friends as much as you can
- Get online support, including forums and mesothelioma websites where you can meet people going through similar things
- Get involved in mesothelioma awareness groups and events
- Keep all medical appointments, and keep communications open between you and your medical team
Additional Resources and Help For People Diagnosed with Mesothelioma
If you or a loved one were diagnosed with mesothelioma or any other illness due to asbestos exposure, you may be entitled to substantial compensation. Use our free Asbestos Attorney Locator Tool to find a top mesothelioma attorney in your area. With over $30 billion currently in asbestos trust funds, now is the right time to take the first step in determining what you may qualify for. For questions and assistance, feel free to contact us at 800-694-4856. We’ll be happy to assist you in any way that we can.