Albumin Levels May Help Predict Mesothelioma Prognosis

New research suggests that mesothelioma patients with low levels of albumin, a blood protein, are more likely to survive only a year or less after being diagnosed malignant pleural mesothelioma. Chinese experts and researchers conducted a study of 97 patients who were admitted into the Shandong University Hospital during 1995 through 2013. Each patient was newly […]

Read More

Paint Company Agrees to Resolve Asbestos Lawsuit for $797.5 Million

RPM International Inc., the makers of Rust-Oleum paint, settled an asbestos lawsuit this week for $797.5 million. The lawsuit was brought against Bondex International Inc., a unit of RPM.  According to reports, Bondex filed for bankruptcy in 2010 after a series of personal injury lawsuits. However, if the court approves the asbestos settlement, it would put a […]

Read More

CDC Restores Grant to Help Mesothelioma Patients

The National Mesothelioma Virtual Bank’s  (NMVB) $2.2 million grant was restored last month, thanks to a decision made by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).  NMVB is a resource bank and patient registry that uses its vast database to help researchers, doctors, scientists, and other experts understand more about and perform research on mesothelioma. […]

Read More

Industrial Chemical Linked to Mesothelioma

It’s long been established that asbestos is the primary cause of at least 80% of all mesothelioma cases, yet a new study reveals that an industrial chemical found in a common household products may account for the other 20%. According to a two-year study performed by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Environmental […]

Read More

Top States for Asbestos-Related Fatalities

In an ongoing effort to help understand mesothelioma and what parts of the country are affected the most, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has kept close records on asbestos-related fatalities in all states in the nation. Currently, the top five states for the most asbestos-related fatalities are as […]

Read More

Montana Residents Concerned; Asbestos Clean Up Still Going

Numerous residents in the Bozeman, Montana area reached out to a local media station this week with concerns regarding the asbestos clean-up taking place at a community supermarket. Although the project was scheduled to wrap up in July, the ongoing project has sparked concern after they claim no one was answering their questions. According to […]

Read More

University Gets $10 Million for Asbestos Research

A $10 million grant was given to researchers at the University of Pennsylvania this month to study the effects of asbestos and how its fibers lead to life-threatening diseases. According to reports, the grant is in response to America’s 10 Superfund sites, the largest areas containing hazardous pollution in the nation. The grant, funded by […]

Read More

Asbestos forces U.S. Capitol to Shut Down

A portion of the United States Capitol, the House side, shut down early this morning after an accidental spill occurred during an ongoing asbestos removal project. A few hours later, however, the House side it re-opened its doors. According to news reports, an industrial accident that happened at around 2:30 a.m. Thursday morning prompted officials to shut down entry […]

Read More

New York Judge Denies Motion for Asbestos Company

A New York judge denied a motion of summary last month against an air compression manufacturing company that has been named in an asbestos lawsuit. The judge’s decision is based upon the fact that the plaintiffs in the case have already given sufficient evidence to indicate a valid lawsuit against the company. According to court documents, Judge Sherry […]

Read More

Asbestos Found in Connecticut Police Department

Police officers and staff members at the Stamford, Connecticut Police Department are worried after asbestos was found at the police headquarters this week. According to local reports, the first-floor ceilings at Stamford’s Bedford Street police headquarters are littered so badly with asbestos that officials turned off the air conditioning and circulation system in the building. Employees, […]

Read More